I uploaded a new video of my Black and White Mech No. 1 build. I am trying to do some quick video tours for the new YouTube "shorts" format. Going forward, I'll probably start doing long tour versions of my MOC videos on the regular YouTube format with a companion #shorts video.
The rover features an ore drill that can be off loaded via the crane arm and several container boxes that are removable as well. The front tires are steerable with a technic rack and pinion set up and the rear tires are all independently sprung so they will move up and down over obstacles (better for Moon rock crawling!). Again, I should have a video posted showing the details in the rear future.
Mine uses the LEGO magnet system to lock the transport pods in place on the ship. Also of note in this build is a mechanism that I built to allow the forward winglets to change positions with a toggle handle built into the rear of the ship. The upper cockpit also separates and becomes it own mini-ship. The YouTube video gives a tour of the whole and the different features.
As promised, I waded into the project of trying to collect all of the pieces to build the Classic Space Mobile Lab set (LEGO Set Number 6901). I worked on it over the course of a couple of days, including this past weekend. Besides the usual satisfaction that I derive from sorting through bricks, this turned out to be particularly fun because my son got interested in helping me find the bricks. So it turned into a joint mission to hunt down the pieces. I have to hand it to my son who actually managed to find several of the pieces that I had overlooked. I was convinced that I would have to BrickLink the trans-green windshield part and he ended up finding it in the same transparent piece box that I was sure I had combed through ad nauseum. In my defense, I will contend that searching through that particular box of transparent bricks (all trans-color bricks) is like getting lost in a maze of funhouse mirrors. Still, he was able to find it. We have now found nearly all of the pieces. And I am quite convinced at least a handful of them came from the actual set that I first got some forty years ago. Kind of a cool thought. Alas, we have not tracked down all of the "hose" pieces along with a just few others. So I might have to resort to a very small BrickLink order. I hope to bring you photos of the rebuilt set when its done.
By the way, after helping me with finding the bricks for this set, my son decided to try his hand at rebuilding another old LEGO Space set (from a different Space subtheme from the late '90s). So I'll plan to show off that rebuilt set as well in another post.
I have posted up a new video of my Blacktron Attacks! MOC on the PittBrickyard YouTube channel. This MOC was built for the 2018 Bricks by the Bay LEGO convention and featured a large Blacktron mothership which was around two feet in diameter.
My 17 inch tall mech build, the "Mächtig Jaeger," have been posted on the PittBrickyard YouTube Channel. I came up with this name because the build reminds me of a powerful Pacific Rim style "jaeger" mech. The idea behind this one was to do a large format mech with dark blue ("Earth Blue" in official LEGO color parlance) and orange colors. The challenge at this scale is to prevent it from collapsing under its own weight. I ended up completely rebuilding it, including redesigning the feet after an initial test build proved too flimsy. It stands well now and without support. However, because a push can send it toppling over, I have built a support display stand that can sit behind it and help prevent it from falling over when displayed for long periods (and to hopefully guard against it pitching over off my display shelf in the next California earthquake!). Check out the video for a full tour.
One improvement that I would make would be to replace the black brick to which the antenna is connected (a "Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 4 Sides," sometimes called a "Travis Brick"). I really wanted to use a red brick there but, for some reason, could not find one in my giant drawer of SNOT bricks. I will keep an eye out and probably replace it the next time I see one turn up in one of my bulk LEGO brick bins. Check out more photos here.
I began by searching for bricks through one of my many bulk brick tubs. I segregated some blue, black and trans-red bricks to mimic the primary colors of this subtheme. As I often do with my builds, especially those inspired by a theme or color palette, I arrayed out the bricks that I had gathered and began the build. I find that laying out the pieces and seeing how many different pieces that I have and which ones I have pairs or more of really helps. Of course, I also have many other segregated pieces in various bins. The ones that I lay out are usually the specialty pieces like less common slopes, windshields, windows, round pieces, interesting pieces for greeblies or other features, etc. Basically anything in the color palette that catches my eye as I sort through bulk bins. You can see the selection below. I engineered what I think will be a nifty little mechanism for this build. I will plan to reveal it on the PittBrickyard YouTube channel in a few more days when it is done.